Episode 26: Jo Ann Baumgartner Farming With The Wild
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe to Rewilding Earth Podcast: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Email | RSS
About Jo Ann
Jo Ann is the Executive Director of the Wild Farm Alliance. She is the author of many publications on the intersection between biodiversity conservation and agriculture, including beneficial birds, the conservation mandates within the National Organic Program regulations, and the co-management of food safety and conservation.
Before joining WFA in 2001, she addressed crop, livestock and fiber issues, was senior research editor for a book of California’s rare wildlife species, and was an organic farmer for over a decade.
For her Master’s research in Environmental Studies Department at San Jose State University, she studied bird predation of insects in apple orchards. Her undergraduate degree is in Soil and Water Science from UC Davis. Jo Ann is based in Watsonville, CA.
- What it means to farm with the wild
- Corridors, riparian areas & wetlands restoration
- Managing farms for beneficial bird species and insects
- Managing for pest species the right way
- The size and growth of organic farming
Get plugged in: Join Wild Farm Alliance’s (WFA) Mailing List
- WFA’s Supporting Beneficial Birds and Managing Pest Birds
- WFA’s How to Conserve Biodiversity on the Farm: A Continuum of Practices from Simple to Complex
- WFA’s Biodiversity Conservation: An Organic Farmer’s and Certifier’s Guide
- WFA’s A Farmer’s Guide to Food Safety and Conservation
Director of Digital Outreach (D.O.D.O.) for The Rewilding Institute
Host and Producer of the Rewilding Earth Podcast
Jack started Rewilding work as Executive Director of Sky Island Alliance in the mid-1990’s, organizing the Sky Island Wildlands Network design, ripping up illegal roads on forest service lands, installing wolf acclimatization pens on Ted Turner’s Ladder Ranch & conducting howling surveys to help make way for the final stage of the Lobo reintroduction program in the Southwest.
Through the years, Jack has worked with Dave Foreman and the Rewilding Gang to further Rewilding initiatives and education.